There are several changes to Duke's journal subscriptions for 2022. Library staff across Duke have been working together to renegotiate large "Big Deal" packages with publishers Elsevier, Springer, and Wiley that were up for regular renewal, with an eye toward containing excessive annual increases for journal prices. When reviewing specific journal titles, we examined several variables, including usage data, journal price, article cost-per-use, journal Impact Factor, and the number of articles by Duke researchers in the journal.
While these cancellations will mean that the journals will no longer be available for immediate access at Duke, journal articles not available through university subscriptions can be requested through our Interlibrary Loan / Document Delivery Service at no cost to Duke patrons. Average turnaround time for Interlibrary Loan requests is 2 business days.
The following journal titles will no longer be available for current access; however, access to previous years will continue.
- Anatomical Record
- Artificial Organs
- Biochemical Pharmacology
- Birth Defects Research
- Genetic Epidemiology
- Journal of Cellular Physiology
- Journal of Comparative Neurology
- Leukemia and Lymphoma
- Prenatal Diagnosis
- Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology
In addition to the journals above, the libraries will no longer have access to the two large packages of journal titles listed below. Many of the journals previously accessible through these packages will be available through other packages, but some will no longer be available.
- Elsevier Freedom Collection
Access will cease, except for those specific journal titles noted in "Additions" below.
- Wiley Full Text 2017 Collection
Access for prior years up to 2017 will continue.
New Platforms Based on Cancellations
Some titles will switch platforms. The following journal titles will now be available through ClinicalKey rather than ScienceDirect.
- Transplantation and Cellular Therapy
- Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
- Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging
- Health Policy
- Psychiatry Research
- Physiology & Behavior
Most of the titles below, which were previously in one of the two journal packages that are being canceled, are being added to our subscriptions because they meet our criteria for inclusion based on cost, usage, journal quality, and relevance.
- Acta Ophthalmologica
- Australian Occupational Therapy Journal
- Clinical Genetics
- Clinical Simulation in Nursing
- Diabetes Obesity and Metabolism
- European Journal of Cancer Care
- Experimental Dermatology
- European Journal of Neurology
- European Journal of Pain
- European Urology Oncology
- Geriatrics & Gerontology International
- International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics
- International Journal of Mental Health Nursing
- International Nursing Review
- The Journal for Nurse Practitioners
- Journal of Clinical Nursing
- Journal of Nursing Management
- Journal of Occupational Science
- Journal of Professional Nursing
- Journal of Radiology Nursing
- Journal of Sleep Research
- Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Journal of Thrombosis & Haemostasis
- Lancet Child & Adolescent Health
- Lancet Rheumatology
- Nature Cancer
- Nature Metabolism
- Nature Reviews Endocrinology
- Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Nature Reviews Rheumatology
- Nature Reviews Urology
- NEJM Evidence
- Nurse Education in Practice
- Nurse Education Today
- Nurse Leader
- OTJR: Occupation, Participation, and Health
- Pain Management Nursing
- Pediatric Diabetes
- Pediatric Obesity
- Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science In Sports
- Teaching and Learning in Nursing
- Transplant Infectious Disease
If you have any questions about a specific journal, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
To read more about the scholarly publishing landscape, including open access and other transformational pricing models, please see the Scholarly Communications section on our Website.