Research librarians can partner with you to author systematic reviews.
Add us to your author team and we will design and manage thorough, complex searches in multiple databases. Duke faculty, students, and staff should email us at email@example.com to get started.
We will work with you to develop a comprehensive approach that meets the requirements for conducting a systematic review of the literature. We will also provide you with:
- EndNote libraries of de-duplicated results
- Tables with detailed search strategies
- Narratives of the search methodology
- PRISMA diagrams of search results
Additional services, such as downloading PDFs, screening abstracts, and conducting grey literature searches, may be available.
- Please contact us a minimum of 3-4 weeks before you hope to begin screening abstracts.
- The average search takes 1-2 weeks to develop. Some may be faster, others longer. Particularly complex searches, those with multiple questions, and those requiring non-standard databases take longer to develop, run, and update.
- Multiple iterations may be required to achieve the proper balance of precision and recall. We will work with you to review initial results to ensure relevance.
- At any given time, we have multiple reviews in the queue, and it may take 1-2 weeks to schedule our first consultation.
Requirements for getting started
- A protocol with key PICO questions delineated. If not available, you can use the "Literature Search Planning Form" for each question.
- Contact information for a content expert who can answer questions
- 3-5 relevant citations to articles you would expect to find from the literature search
- Given the expertise and significant time commitment involved in this work, it is our policy that librarians' contribution be recognized with co-authorship of manuscripts.
- Investigators submitting requests for comprehensive literature searches for projects with grant funding are expected to include library effort in the grant.
Outside groups interested in contracting with Duke Medical Center Library & Archives for these services can contact Sarah Cantrell.