It's time for more recommended readings for those of you following along with the Color Code podcast from STAT. As a reminder, this podcast is examining racial inequities in American health care, and members of our staff are offering some additional readings for each episode. Below are recommendations for episodes 3-4. For episodes 1-2, please see our earlier blog post.
Episode 3: "Dismantling medical racism starts in the classroom" explores anti-racism work in medical education, including innovations to disrupt racism and the backlash against them.
- Episode 3 summary and audio
- Addressing Harmful Bias and Eliminating Discrimination in Health Professions Learning Environments, a supplement from Academic Medicine. Table of contents.
- A Framework for Developing Antiracist Medical Educators and Practitioner-Scholars. Sotto-Santiago S, Poll-Hunter N, Trice T, Buenconsejo-Lum L, Golden S, Howell J, Jacobs N, Lee W, Mason H, Ogunyemi D, Crespo W, Lamba S. Acad Med. 2022 Jan 1;97(1):41-47. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000004385. PMID: 34469355.
Episode 4: "'Birthing while Black' is an American crisis. Communities demand justice" tells the stories of Black women who died shortly after giving birth and describes how racism is a risk factor for Black maternal health outcomes.
- Episode 4 summary and audio
- Black women health inequity: The origin of perinatal health disparity. Brown HL, Small MJ, Clare CA, Hill WC. J Natl Med Assoc. 2021 Feb;113(1):105-113. doi: 10.1016/j.jnma.2020.11.008. Epub 2020 Dec 9. PMID: 33339616.
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM) Consult Series #62: Best practices in equitable care delivery: Addressing systemic racism and other social determinants of health as causes of obstetric disparities. Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM) Publications Committee, Greenberg MB, Gandhi M, Davidson C, Carter EB. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2022 Apr 1:S0002-9378(22)00266-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2022.04.001. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35378098.
Stay tuned for more recommended readings in the coming weeks.