Zotero (zoh-TAIR-oh) is a free citation management tool that conveniently “lives in” your Web browser, where you do the majority of your work and research. Most commonly, Zotero works as an add-on for the Firefox browser. However, there is a Zotero standalone version that is compatible with Safari and Chrome.
Zotero is easy to use and has many of the same, as well as some unique, features as EndNote and RefWorks. With Zotero, you can:
- Organize & manage references into searchable collections
- Insert citations as you write using the Zotero word-processing plug-in
- Create formatted bibliographies in many different styles
- Attach PDFs, notes and images to references
- Easily add citations directly from databases and Websites
- Get reference information for PDFs that you already have
- Attach searchable tags to citations
Duke Medical Center Library & Archives staff are also available to provide training and answer questions about Zotero. Call 919.660.1100 and ask to speak to a librarian, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.